As we near the transition from hot summer days to chilly autumn nights, there’s no better way to appreciate the last morsels of summer than with a Labor Day picnic. If a grill isn’t at your disposal, don’t worry—we’ve gathered our favorite summery recipes to make in advance using the (ANOVA)ᴿᴱᴰ Precision Cooker and the (PANASONIC)ᴿᴱᴰ 7-in-1 Compact Oven, bringing you all the deliciousness of a summer cookout without the hassle. And when you use an (ANOVA)ᴿᴱᴰ or (PANASONIC)ᴿᴱᴰ appliance, not only are you making delicious food, but you’re also helping to fight AIDS. Amazing food and an even better cause? Sounds like a dream come true to us.
We’ve also got you covered with an epic playlist to take your picnic to the next level.
- 2 Full racks of baby back pork ribs (about 4 ½ pounds total) cut in half
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Cups of barbecue sauce
- 4 Tablespoons liquid smoke
- White sandwich bread, for serving
- Dill pickles, for serving
- Step 1: Set the (ANOVA)ᴿᴱᴰ Precision Ccooker to 145°F.
- Step 2: Season ribs with salt and pepper and divide between 4 vacuum sealed bags. Add ¼ cup barbeque sauce and 1 tablespoon liquid smoke into each bag. Seal the bags using the water immersion technique or a vacuum sealer on the moist setting.
- Step 3: Place bags in the water bath and set the timer for 20 hours. Cover the water bath with plastic wrap to minimize water evaporation. Add water intermittently to keep the ribs submerged.
- Step 4: When the timer goes off, remove the bags from the water bath. Remove the ribs from the bags and transfer to a foil-lined broiler-safe baking sheet. Heat broiler to high.
- Step 5: Brush ribs with the remaining 1 cup barbeque sauce. Broil until the sauce just begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Step 6: Serve ribs with white bread, pickles, and additional barbecue sauce.
- 2 (12 to 16 Ounce) bone-in chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Cup of barbecue sauce
- ¼ Cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup of sour cream
- ¼ Cup of sliced scallions
- 1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon of honey
- 1 (14 Ounce) bag of coleslaw
- 4 Sandwich buns
- Step 1: Set the (ANOVA)ᴿᴱᴰ Precision Cooker to 150°F.
- Step 2: Season the chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper. Place in a large zipper lock bag with ½ cup of barbecue sauce. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique and place in the water bath. Set the timer for 1 hour.
- Step 3: Once the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. Remove the chicken from the bag and let it rest for 10 minutes. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- Step 4: Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size pieces. Discard the bones and skin. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the remaining barbecue sauce and reserved cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 5: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, scallions, mustard, vinegar, and honey. Add the coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 6: Divide the chicken between the buns, top with coleslaw and serve.
- 4 Large king trumpet (or king oyster) mushrooms
- ½ Head of green cabbage
- ¼ Red onion
- 1 Large carrot
- 1 Pack of brioche (or vegan) buns
- ½ Lime
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic salt
- Kosher salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Your preferred BBQ sauce
- Step 1: Set the (ANOVA)ᴿᴱᴰ Precision Cooker to 180°F.
- Step 2: Shred the mushrooms with a form until they have a stringy texture.
- Step 3: Put the mushrooms in a mixing bowl and add a generous amount of smoked paprika, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. The level of each spice is entirely up to your taste, but keep in mind the paprika will add a smoky depth and the cayenne will add a kick!
- Step 4: Add a few pours of olive oil to evenly coat and distribute the spices into your pulled mushrooms. The best method to incorporate everything is to hand mix the pulled mushrooms, spices, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 5: Once all of the spices and oil are incorporated, bag the mushrooms and place them into the water bath for 1.5 hours
- Step 6: While the mushrooms are cooking, get your simple citrus slaw started by thinly slicing the cabbage/red onion, and shredding or peeling a whole carrot.
- Step 7: Add a dash of salt, and massage firmly by hand until the mixture begins to soften up and releases a slight bit of moisture.
- Step 8: Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and the juice of half a lime before mixing thoroughly by hand. Make sure to evenly distribute the liquids for a consistent taste!
- Step 9: As the mushrooms near the 1.5 hour mark, preheat a cast iron skillet on high with a generous amount of high smoke oil applied to it. When your mushroom mixture is done in the sous vide, pull it out of the water bath and drain thoroughly before transferring to the cast iron skillet. Move the mushrooms around with tongs while searing to evenly blacken the edges. After about 4 minutes, add in a healthy serving of your favorite BBQ sauce to evenly coat. Once you feel the sauce is evenly distributed and up to heat, pull all the mushrooms off and into a serving bowl.
- Step 10: Add the mushrooms and the simple citrus claw onto a toasted bun and enjoy!
- 1 ½ Cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 1 Teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ Teaspoon of salt
- 1 Cup of sugar
- ½ Cup of butter at room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Lemons, zest and juice
- ¼ Cup of milk
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 1 Cup of icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
Optional Garnish: lemon zest
Step 1: Preheat the (PANASONIC)ᴿᴱᴰ 7-in-1 Compact Oven to 375°F.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Step 3: In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter together with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and stir until combined. Add lemon zest and lemon juice, and milk. Slowly pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
Step 4: Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with oil and pour in batter.
Step 5: Place on the lower rack position of the oven. Set the timer for 45 minutes.
Step 6: Insert a toothpick to ensure that the loaf is fully cooked. Let rest in the pan for five minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
Step 7: In the meantime, combine icing sugar and lemon juice to make the icing.
Step 8: Slowly pour the icing on top of the cooled cake, add lemon zest if required. Let sit for five minutes until the icing hardens. Serve and enjoy!
- 2 Medium carrots
- ½ Cup of applesauce
- ¼ Cup of olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons of cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 1 ½ Cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup of sugar
- ½ Teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ⅛ Teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ Teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 4 Cups of icing sugar
- ¼ Cup of vegan butter
- 4 Teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ Cup of soy milk
Optional garnish: carrot curls
- Step 1: Preheat the (PANASONIC)ᴿᴱᴰ 7-in-1 Compact Oven to 375°F using the “steam conv. mode.”
- Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the carrots, apple sauce, olive oil, and cider vinegar. In a separate bowl, combine the flax seeds and water and then add the mix to a large bowl and combine.
- Step 3: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Step 4: Mix the dry mixture until just combined.
- Step 5: Line 2 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper cut into circles. Grease the two pans with the oil. Divide the batter between two pans, place them on the two levels of the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Step 6: Insert a toothpick to ensure the cakes are fully cooked and let them cook completely on a cooling rack.
- Step 7: In the meantime, add the icing sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla extract to a stand mixer bowl and mix with the paddle attachment on low for two minutes. Gradually add the soy milk until it reaches a smooth texture.
- Step 8: Once the cakes are totally cooled, spread a layer of icing on the first cake, then stack the second cake on top of the first one and spread the remaining icing on top. Garnish with the carrot curls and enjoy!
- 1 Pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 (770-mL) Bottle of dark rum
- Step 1: Set the (ANOVA)ᴿᴱᴰ Precision Cooker to 135°F.
- Step 2: Combine the pineapple, rum, and sugar in a large zipper lock bag. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique. Place the bag in the water bath and set a timer for 2 hours. Halfway through the cooking, mix the contents of the bag to ensure the sugar has dissolved.
- Step 3: Once the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. Strain the contents of the bag through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl, reserving the infused pineapple for another use. Transfer to a storage bottle and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Use this delicious pineapple-infused rum in our favorite pineapple rum punch!
We’ve pulled together the perfect playlist of some of the best summer ‘23 hits. From Barbie to Bad Bunny, these hits are sure to spice up your next summer get-together.